Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Family Adjustment

My family means well.  They went shopping while I was at work, last weekend, and they picked up a few things for me.  The gluten-free Glutino pretzels are excellent!  No one would know they were gluten-free.  They do have corn STARCH but not the flour, so they seem to be okay for me.  The organic vegetable stock is a huge no-no.  I think hubby saw "organic" and that it had no wheat in it and assumed I could have it.  Sadly, no.  "Keyword honey?  VEGETABLE."

I discovered that my favorite wheat-free pancake mix has CORN FLOUR in it.  How did I not see that, before?  I was blaming my pure maple syrup on my reaction, when it could be the corn flour!  This was a forehead-smack moment.  Yes, the maple syrup could still be a factor but I need the right pancake mix to be able to test it.

I cooked up a batch of my favorite turkey burgers, last night.  I mix turkey with liquid smoke, salt, oregano, a little paprika, and I add sauteed mushrooms that I cook with butter and large chunks of onion and garlic.  This time, I added a little wine.  I remove the onion and garlic and chop up the mushrooms, before adding them to the turkey.  I made half with some provolone cheese in the middle (I would've used cheddar but we were out) and half without.  Yummy!  I usually eat them with some mayo mixed with a tiny bit of mustard.  I miss ketchup.

Yesterday, I had a good, reaction-free day.  This morning, the pancakes got me.  I want everyday to be reaction-free.  Will that ever happen?

No comments: