Monday, January 18, 2010

Yummy Dinner

I'm in the process of moving my blog to a new home but it's going to take some time.  I still want to update you on my day-to-day living with FM.

My sister picked up some "Spring Roll Skins" at an Asian market.  They appear to be Vietnamese and they are made of rice!  I was surprised to find that they look and feel like sheets of hard plastic.  So, I set up a pan with some simmering water and dipped the skins in for about 3-4 seconds and then took them out with tongs.  You have to lay them out flat, immediately!  They don't need to be perfectly flat.  You're just going to roll them up!

I filled the skins with some leftover beef from last night's stew, some bean sprouts, and some cabbage that I just tore into small pieces.  Then, I poured a little what-free soy sauce on the filling and folded them up like skinny little burritos.  The skins wrap up, beautifully, because they're sticky.  I fried them in a little oil, rolling them to brown them on all sides, for just a few minutes.  Too long, and they started to fall apart.  Yes, they'd be crispier if deep fried, but I didn't want to add those kinds of calories and heart-clogging techniques.

My entire dinner was done in about 15 minutes, start to finish!  It was delicious and such a nice change from my usual "safe" foods.  Everything I ate was "safe" and it was scrumptious!  Don't be afraid to experiment.  You can do this!  Being Fructose Free doesn't have to mean flavor-free.

1 comment:

Fitness Insights said...

That actually sounds really good Joyce! I especially like the whole "15 minutes" factor! Could you post some pics next time you whip up a concoction like this? Would love to see Chef Joyce's handiwork! :)