Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The grieving begins....

We went to a restaurant on Sunday night.  I asked for some easy modifications to a taco-style salad - no black beans, no tortilla strips, no ranch dessing... and some lime wedges on the side, please.  The salad arrived without the beans and strips but it was smothered in ranch.  They brought a new one to me and the ground beef was completely missing!  They brought the ground beef in a small bowl and it was loaded with tomatoes and onions.  I sighed and gave it to my family to dip tortilla chips in.

My main meal was chicken fajitas.  I ate the chicken and skipped the veggies and tortillas.  Perfect.  I even had a glass of Riesling (I found a great article online with fructose info on wines - http://www.examiner.com/x-15778-Jacksonville-FructoseFree-Food-Examiner~y2009m7d9-Alcohol-choices-for-fructose-free-living).  I also ate one roll of Smarties, just in case.

Yesterday, we made the drive to Whole Foods.  I was excited and hopeful that I might find some new foods to try.  While I paid high prices for some pizza and muffin mixes, I didn't find anything new that I wouldn't find in my local Sprouts or Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage.  That shopping trip left me in a really foul mood.  At bedtime, I was hungry.  I'd been craving cold cereal and poured a bowl of gluten-free-with-cane-juice-and-peanut-butter-puffs, knowing full well that I may not be able to tolerate the corn or the peanut butter.  When my husband commented on how big my bowl of cereal was, I started crying.  I blurted out that I didn't even know if I could eat this cereal but I wanted cereal and there aren't any cereals I can eat!  I guess it's finally getting to me.

The good news is that I didn't react to the cereal!  That gave me some hope and I bought another similar corn-based cereal, today.  This morning, I made my first gluten-free muffins and added some dried cranberries.  Not bad!  I tried to mimic Panda Express' Mandarin Sauce, using wheat-free soy sauce and failed.  Blech.  So, I looked up a copy-cat recipe to modify on my next try.

I did make 3-4 trips to the bathroom, today, but things weren't nearly as bad as they used to be.  I used to make up to 10 trips to the bathroom and be sick, tired, and just plain miserable all day.  I may never achieve "normal" but I need to get closer.  I'm really concerned about my high inflammation levels and am anxious to see my doctor, next week.

No comments: