Wednesday, December 16, 2009

What is Fructose Malabsorption?

From www.healthhype.com:

Human intestine can’t absorb unlimited amount of fructose, but most people can absorb 25-50 g of fructose per sitting (1). By definition, inability to absorb 25 g of fructose per sitting is considered as fructose malabsorption. Unabsorbed fructose may cause diarrhea and bloating (constipation for some).

Fructose malabsorption (FM) was previously known as ‘dietary fructose intolerance’ (DFI), but this term should be avoided to prevent confusion with hereditary fructose intolerance (HFI).

What Is Fructose?

Fructose is a monosacharide or single sugar, also called fruit sugar. Fructose has the same chemical formula as glucose (C6H12O6), but different molecular structure. They both have about the same caloric value, but fructose is sweeter. Fructose is not essential nutrient for human, meaning everyone can live without fructose, so “fructose deficiency” doesn’t exist.

======================================================

Hello! My name is Joyce and I'm living with Fructose Malabsorption. I have suffered from severe heartburn and increasingly severe and chronic diarrhea for many years (decades). Finally, I know why.

Eating low-to-Fructose-free is difficult, no doubt about it. It's easier to avoid foods with any type of Fructose, like Corn Syrup, Polyols (anything ending with "tol"), or fruit on the label than it is to avoid more troubling Fructans. Each Fructose Malaborptioner, or "FMer for short, has their own tolerance levels for how much Fructose or Fructans they can eat.

Which foods are high in Fructans? According to the book, "Fructose Malabsorption - The Survival Guide" they are:

  • Artichoke
  • Asparagus (some can tolerate)
  • Barley (very young)
  • Chives
  • Garlic
  • Leek
  • Onion
  • Rye
  • Wheat
  • Some sources list banana

FMers can usually turn to Gluten-Free breads, to safely avoid Wheat and Rye (my favorite sandwich bread is by Udi's, although it's tiny, compared to regular bread). Most FMers can safely eat pure cane sugar, as opposed to regular table sugar, which is made from beets. Brown sugar is bad. Artificial sweeteners are a no-no. We can usually cook with large chunks of onions and intact garlic cloves but must remove them, before eating (not everyone can do this, either). Most spices are off-limits. Salt should be used lightly.

Did you know that McDonald's injects high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) into their CHICKEN? Most salad dressing have HFCS or objectionable spices. Salad is dangerous, because iceberg lettuce has Fructose. Spinach and many dark, leafy "spring mix" options are a better choice. Most vinegars are out, too. I'm about to try rice wine vinegar on a salad today. I'll let you know how it goes.

A new book came out, recently, that provides terrific info for FMers, including excellent lists to follow. The book is "Fructose Malabsorption - The Survival Guide" by Debra & Bob Ledford. I can't recommend this book, strongly enough.

Next time, I'll share what I eat... so far. I'm still on a learning curve and I don't have all the answers. I'm hoping this blog will give you and me an opportunity to share what we've learned and what we're going through. I feel support is important and I hope we can help each other.

4 comments:

Trish said...

Go Joyce!

Get the word out!

Lettuce? OMG! That's supposed to be healthy and fully of not much! Where does it get fructose?

ShesaDJ said...

All fruits and veggies contain fructose or fructans. When the glucose amount is higher than the fructose, you're safe. If the food also contains polyols, it's not safe. If it contains fructans, glucose will only make the effects worse. Makes for tricky eating.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the nice words about our book! Did you mean you recommend it? The comma makes it sound like you don't. Would you consider putting our site on your links? www.fructosemalabsorptionhelp.com

By the way, even though our books says "no" to iceburg lettuce due to its ratio, I can eat it without problems. Don't be afraid to try things. Just be prepared to pay the price!

ShesaDJ said...

Deb, oh I totally recommend your book! I'll take the comma out, if that makes the sentence read more positively.

Trust me, I've been trying things and I've been paying the price (ugh). It's difficult to eat "clean" and wait several days, between trying new foods. My reactions are usually within 30 minutes of eating something, so I know fast when I've eaten something bad for me. It seems that I'm pretty darn sensitive. I'm hating this.